Wednesday, May 12, 2010

You can learn things about yourself even at 38

So I've been sick (really sick) for the past three days. There is this whole issue of staying home and not infecting the rest of the office which is a great idea....in theory. What happens when you can't do that. It's a well known fact that most stuff is contagious before the symptoms appear http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=42618 is a great article about should you go to work or not. It's worrisome that it suggests you could get fired if you are out for longer than three days if you haven't been there for a year.
Anyway I digress. I learned a couple of things about myself - when I am very sick I am a big baby - this isn't new I knew this. I had to go to work - there was a major project that I had to do, yes once again the powers that be decided instead of telling more than one person they put it on me - I have always wondered why; what would happen if I was hit by a bus. Who would do the work then, again I digress. I woke up on Monday feeling horrific, sneezing, sore throat, coughing, muscles aches, fuzzy head oh it was awful. I somehow got up, walked the pup and dragged myself to work Monday and Tuesday and got the project done but it was awful - extremely awful - Monday being the worst of the two days. So I learned that when you are at your worst you still have something deep down inside you that you can push through and get done what needs to get done.
I have often wondered what single or stay-at-home moms do when they are that sick and cannot get up but have to to take care of the kids. I often wondered when I have kids will I be a bad mom if I cannot get up to take care if the baby. I now know I can because I have that thing deep down inside that all moms must have to get up and do what has to be done and that's not a bad thing to learn about yourself. To think I learned it at 38 :)

No comments: