Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My cat has ADHD


Since Paul's youngest has ADHD I thought I would do some research - the kids and I are meeting in July and I want to be somewhat informed. I learned that the most prevalent symptoms of ADD ADHD are inattention and distractibility, hyperactivity and impulsive behaviors. Difficulties with concentration, mental focus, and inhibition of impulses and behaviors are chronic and pervasive and impair an individual’s daily functioning across various settings -- OMG I was shocked, suprised and a little stunned. Pepper Static, my not yet nine month old kitten has ADHD...or at least all the symptoms. For example she was bugging the dog so I attempt to distracct her with a kleenex - stop laughing it works - so looks up and begins to come over to investigate but somehow in the 8 to 10 steps coming over a candle (not lit one that's been sitting there) grabs her attention the kleenex is lost - inattention. As for distractibility did you hear me mention the kleenex. Impusive behaviours - one minute she's lying quiety next second she has to be in the next room for some reason RIGHT AWAY! If the dog runs to fetch a toy the cat freaks out. However I don't think she needs kitty meds because her daily funtion isn't impaired.
In all seriousness I am asking parents with children with this to give some advice on relating to Paul's little guy.
Thanks!

No comments: