Monday, August 9, 2010

Oh... now I get it!

So I had my first experience with motherhood when I visited Paul this week - this week was for a couple of reasons: to spend some time together, revisit some long neglected friendships and meet the kids - Cally is 14 and Caleb is 9. And honestly two of the most adorable little people I have ever met. Paul and I are very much of the same page when it comes to raising ideas but it's easier to put them into action when I am there. A lot of the "rules" are things I had to follow when I was growing up. For example we all eat at the dinner table. Caleb is easily distracted and when cleaning the living room I found - two pizza crusts (under the couch cusions) a half eaten chocolate muffin on the second level of the coffee table and a piece of a sausage and that was just in the living room - don't get me started on his room. Eating at the table enables me to see how much he eats and control what he drinks. He didn't get pop at all when I was down and we limited to the juice intake and wow - what a difference.


He has to make his bed, set and clear the table and there is no fight at all I thought there would be an arguement but he seems to like doing it. We'll see how long that keeps up (lol).

I also understand "sibling rivilary" a little more only who knew there was so much to fight about. Paul said I'll develop "parental hearing" shortly but I have to apologize to my parents for the excessiveness of the car rides where someone 'touching' me wasn't really that much of an issue. We had the kids from Friday to the following Friday night and Paul said he misses them when he's gone and I figured he would enjoy the break however I so see it...they were gone on Saturday and I really missed them. The house was so quiet and well, it was just weird.






So when parents say they miss thier kids when they go away to visit grandparents or when the parent goes away for a bit I totally get it now and even as I sit in my apartment and get to watch what I want and it's quiet and I actually can get on the computer I miss them in a way that I would give this all up to see them again. I miss them in a way that makes my heart ache and makes me feel like I am missing a part of me. It's completely a diffrent way than I miss Paul and it's little simple things like getting hugs from them or hearing them say "I love you." So when parents say they miss the kids despite the fights and despite the constant chatter and the can I have, can I have, can I have I totally get it.



1 comment:

Lynda said...

Thank you Paula for loving my son and for loving my grandchildren. In the short time you where here you took a piece of their hearts and they miss you in the same way that you miss them. You have no idea of the happiness you have brought into their lives, and into mine.